Monday, December 7, 2020

Meet the author - Judith Arnopp #HistoricalFiction #Tudors @JudithArnopp

 



I am so very excited to introduce you to an author I discovered only very recently. Judith Arnopp writes the most fabulous books set in the Tudor era. But before we get to the interview you have to check out her fabulous series - The Beaufort Chronicles 



Burb from Book 1:

As King Henry VI slips into insanity and the realm of England teeters on the brink of civil war, a child is married to the mad king’s brother. 

Edmund Tudor, Earl of Richmond, takes his child bride into Wales where Margaret must put aside childhood, acquire the dignity of a Countess and, despite her tender years, produce Richmond with a son and heir.

As the friction between York and Lancaster intensifies 14-year-old Margaret is widowed and turns for protection to her brother-in-law, Jasper Tudor. 

At his stronghold in Pembroke, two months after her husband’s death, Margaret gives birth to a son whom she names Henry, after her cousin the king. 

Margaret is small of stature but her tiny frame conceals a fierce and loyal heart and a determination that will not falter until her son’s destiny as the king of England is secured.

The Beaufort Bride traces Margaret’s early years from her nursery days at Bletsoe Castle to the birth of her only son in 1457 at Pembroke Castle. Her story continues in Book Two: The Beaufort Woman.




What inspired you to start writing?

I have been writing for so long I can scarcely remember. When I was a little girl, I used to write stories to read to my dolls, so I think I was born with the urge to make things up. I have written all my life but never allowed anyone to read it until I went to university as a mature student. I was incredibly surprised when my creative writing tutor began to suggest I write professionally. I wrote my first full length novel around 2007 and then independently published my second, Peaceweaver, in 2009. Since then I have managed a novel a year. At university I studied English and Creative writing for my first degree and medieval studies for my masters so when I finally dragged myself away from studying, it made sense to combine the two skills and write historical fiction.

What was the hardest part about writing this book?

The Beaufort Bride: Book one of The Beaufort Chronicle (three book series) is my eighth book so it was not difficult. Once you have written a few books, you have already learned the technique of creating a novel. The hardest thing is to force yourself to sit still long enough to actually write it. Research takes up a great deal of time but it isn’t difficult – In the summer, I usually take a pile of research material into the garden or to the sofa in the winter and spend the afternoon drinking coffee and making notes. It is not the writing or research that is ‘hard’, it is the solitude and the self-discipline required to produce a book. I must be very firm with myself but once I am in the writing seat, I find it a comfortable place to be.

Does one of the main characters hold a special place in my heart?

I have a great deal of respect for Margaret Beaufort, reinforced I think by the negative way she has been recently depicted both in fiction and on screen. Before I began researching her life I knew quite a lot about her but it wasn’t until I sat down, put her shoes on (so to speak) and began to live her life with her that I realised what a strong human being she was. I do not paint my characters with pretty colours. My books are not really romances. I show Margaret warts and all, but she comes across in a positive way because I am writing in the first person, as Margaret. As a species, we rarely see our own faults. We blame others. I have written about many historical women now, women like Mary Tudor, Anne Boleyn, Katherine Parr, and Margaret is by far the bravest and the toughest, but she is not a monster, she is nuanced, as we all are.

If your book were to be made into a movie, who are the celebrities that would star in it?

Oh dear, tough question. I am not particularly good with celebrities; I never remember their names. There would need to be three to cover each era of her life. The young Margaret would suit someone small boned, quietly confident, and not particularly pretty, but I cannot think of any child actresses. For The Beaufort Woman it would have to be someone tiny, pleasantly plain (or who can be dressed down) maybe Emma Watson would be good – and the older Margaret, would require someone similar to the others but with wrinkles – lol. Maybe Keely Hawes? If they could make her look older. When I imagine my books being picked up by Netflix or some other film company I can never decide if I’d be pulling my hair out at the way they mangle the history, or just revelling in the money and having  a big spend up.

What do you hope your readers take away from this book?

As with all my books, I hope to make my readers rethink what they thought they knew. That sounds quite arrogant, but I do not mean to. I think there is a danger of historians, authors, and fans of history to think we know it. We have these one-dimensional images of historical characters. We know roughly what they looked like, and what deeds they carried out, but we know next to nothing about their motivation. When I write, I pretend I am the character I am writing about. I try to look at the era, the events, the people they shared their world with through the eyes of my protagonist. Many people think this will result in a limited view but that is how we all see the world, from our own perspective. When writing, I block out all knowledge of the impact Margaret’s actions will have on history, or the people around her. I am only interested in my main character; the others are of no more importance than the cups she drinks from or the clothes she wears. I suppose it is a bit like being a psychoanalyst, I sit Margaret in a comfortable chair, give her a cup of tea, and let her explain herself. I favour books that make me think and I very much hope that mine are in that category.


Buy this series (I really recommend that you do)!

Amazon



A lifelong history enthusiast and avid reader, Judith holds a BA in English/Creative writing and an MA in Medieval Studies.

She lives on the coast of West Wales where she writes both fiction and non-fiction based in the Medieval and Tudor period. Her main focus is on the perspective of historical women but she is currently writing a novel from a male perspective, that of Henry VIII himself.

Her novels include:

A Matter of Conscience: Henry VIII: the Aragon Years (coming soon)

The Heretic Wind: the life of Mary Tudor, Queen of England

Sisters of Arden: on the Pilgrimage of Grace

The Beaufort Bride: Book one of The Beaufort Chronicle

The Beaufort Woman: Book two of The Beaufort Chronicle

The King’s Mother: Book three of The Beaufort Chronicle

The Winchester Goose: at the Court of Henry VIII

A Song of Sixpence: the story of Elizabeth of York

Intractable Heart: the story of Katheryn Parr

The Kiss of the Concubine: a story of Anne Boleyn

The Song of Heledd

The Forest Dwellers

Peaceweaver

Judith is also a founder member of a re-enactment group called The Fyne Companye of Cambria, and makes historical garments both for the group and others. She is not professionally trained but through trial, error and determination has learned how to make authentic looking, if not strictly HA, clothing. You can find her group Tudor Handmaid on Facebook. You can also find her on Twitter and Instagram.

Website, Blog, Twitter








1 comment:

  1. Judith Arnopp is my favorite historical fiction author! She do a great job researching history before start writing her books. She writes every page with her heart, I do see history, fiction, poetry and I cant stop reading until I reach the end! I love her work and I do recommend her books!

    ReplyDelete

On tour with The Coffee Pot Book Club: Yellow Bird’s Song by Heather Miller #AmericanHistory #NativeAmericanHistory #BlogTour @HMHFR @cathiedunn

It is with the greatest of pleasure that I welcome author,  Heather Miller ,  onto The Whispering Bookworm. Rollin Ridge, a mercurial figure...