Friday, December 4, 2020

Book Review - The House of the Red Duke Book One: A Phoenix Rising: LOVE & WAR AT THE CANDLELIT COURTS! by Vivienne Brereton #HistoricalFiction #Tudors @VivienneBreret1




Be dazzled by the dancing, drama and display in Tudor England, Stewart Scotland, Valois France, and The Habsburg Empire.

Heady places of power, intrigue and lovers’ trysts. Where plans are equally likely to be drawn up for a bloody war, as for an extraordinary event such as the fabled 1520 Field of Cloth of Gold.

Meet Thomas Howard. Soldier. Statesman. Courtier. Head of one of the most powerful families in England. A phoenix rising from the ashes at the magnificent court of Henry VIII.

“If I have anything to do with it, we Howards will live forever.”

After a calamitous period of disgrace, Thomas’s family is once more riding high at court due to his intelligence and perseverance, and the part played by his middle son, Edward, a royal favourite known for his good looks, swagger and charm.

Thomas is a keeper of secrets on both sides of the Narrow Sea separating England from France. Mystery swirls around the lives of Tristan, Cecily, Valentine, and Nicolas.

But there are no secrets that time does not reveal….

“Nicolas laid his lute to one side, hardly bothering to stifle a yawn of boredom. Nevertheless, he couldn’t escape the fact that he’d agreed to take on a new wife.”


My Review

I have to admit, I love everything Tudor, and when I was offered a chance to read The House of the Red Duke Book One: A Phoenix Rising: LOVE & WAR AT THE CANDLELIT COURTS I jumped at the chance. From the gorgeous cover and the enticing blurb, I was expecting to be immersed in the glamour and of course, the not so glamours court, of Henry VIII. But this novel is so much more than the story of a young King Henry's ambitions. It includes a whole host of characters and takes the readers on a journey from England, to France, and even to Scotland. This novel also spans twenty years of some very turbulent history. There is certainly a lot of story in this book!

Although I would like to think I have an understanding of Henry VIII reign, I had never heard the story from the Howard's perspective before. I thought Thomas Howard — 2nd Duke of Norfolk's portrayal was brilliant, so good in fact that I found myself popping his name into Google so I can learn more about him. He was a fascinating man indeed, and I think the author did a fabulous job in his depiction.

This novel was an absolute joy to read, and I am eagerly looking forward to getting my hands on Book 2, which I am told will be out later next year. 


Buy this Book (and I really recommend that you do)

Amazon




No comments:

Post a Comment

On tour with The Coffee Pot Book Club: Snarling Wolf (Ghosts Along the Oregon Trail, Book #4) By David Fitz-Gerald #WesternAdventure #AmericanWest @AuthorDAVIDFG @cathiedunn

It is with the greatest of pleasure that I welcome author,  David Fitz-Gerald  onto The Whispering Bookworm. Dive back into the gripping, fr...