I was a little unsure about reading this book when I realised it was the third in a series and I had not read the first two. However, there was enough information about Margaret's past for me to understand what had happened before, and it didn't take me long to settle into her story. I actually became quite curious about everything she had already been through and found myself wanting to know more about her life before this book began.
Margaret was a character I liked almost immediately. After losing her husband, she has her young son, Jamie, to think about as well as herself, and she needs to find a way to support them both. She is willing to work hard and turn her hand to whatever she can, but it was obvious that teaching was where her heart really lay. I really felt for her when she spoke about wanting to continue her own education as a girl but not being able to. She is clearly an intelligent woman, and it seemed terribly unfair that she had the ability to teach but not the qualifications that would have made finding that kind of employment much easier.
I really liked the way Margaret was determined to stand on her own two feet. She doesn't have the luxury of waiting around for the perfect opportunity to present itself, because she has Jamie to feed and a roof to keep over their heads. She sews because she is good at it and because it earns money, but she is always looking for ways to improve their situation. I found myself really rooting for her whenever another opportunity came along because she works so hard for everything she has.
Johnny was another character I quickly became fond of. He made me smile quite a few times, and I loved how naturally he took to Jamie. It wasn't just about his feelings for Margaret; he actually seemed to enjoy spending time with her son. Seeing him playing games with Jamie and reading to him was incredibly sweet. I enjoyed Margaret and Johnny together as well. Their relationship has plenty of affection and attraction, but they also genuinely seem to like each other's company, which made their growing closeness feel much more believable.
I also liked that everything wasn't completely straightforward between them. Margaret has already been through a lot and understandably doesn't want secrets in another relationship. Johnny has his own past and his work as a travelling tailor means he cannot necessarily promise that he will always be in the same place. There were times when I wanted them to just sit down and tell each other absolutely everything, because I could see how easily misunderstandings could creep in.
Although I haven't read the previous books, I really enjoyed Fraying Skeins. There were a few occasions when characters or past events were mentioned that obviously meant more if you had followed Margaret from the beginning, but I never felt completely lost because of it. If anything, it has made me curious enough about Margaret's earlier life that I would quite happily go back and start the series from the beginning.
My only real complaint is the ending. I don't mind a few unanswered questions at the end of a book in a series, but this one ends on a pretty substantial cliffhanger! I turned the page expecting there to be more and was slightly horrified when I realised there wasn't. I now need to know what happens next, so I really hope I won't be waiting too long for the next book.
A lovely historical read with characters I became very fond of. Despite my frustration at being left hanging at the end, I thoroughly enjoyed Margaret's story and will certainly be interested in reading more of the series.
No comments:
Post a Comment