What inspired you to start writing?
Books! I really can’t remember a time when I didn’t love to read. I was a passionate reader as a child. Absolutely loved books, and by eight I knew I wanted to one day write one. Of course, the journey wasn’t as simple as that. I had to live a life too.
What was the hardest part about writing this book?
Living so far away from Spain!
Does one of the main characters hold a special place in your heart? If so, why?
Goodness! That is such a hard question! Most of the characters in The Duty of Daughters hold a special place in my heart. I suppose my greatest affection has to go to the child Catalina. I LOVED imagining Katherine of Aragon as a child and adolescent.
If your book was to be made into a movie, who are the celebrities that would star in it?
Now, you have really made me start to dream. Hmmm – who for Beatriz? I like Keira Knightley – she has the right balance of strength and vulnerability.
Robert Downey Jr. for Ferdinand, Angelina Jolie would be quite fascinating for Isabel I. As for the child and teenage Katherine of Aragon…she would have to be paled skin, redhead and blue eyed, and her friend, Maria de Salinas, dark haired, dark eyed and with the promise of real beauty.
What do you hope your readers take away from this book?
The very human story that was the life of Katherine of Aragon – and how far the lives of women in the first world have come since the 16th century.
I think I will also share something from my novel to help answer this question.
Josefa placed her hand over Beatriz’s. She gave her a wry smile. “Escape ignorance? You know many ignorant women, si?”
“Josefa, you mistake my meaning.” Beatriz stared at the coverlet of Josefa’s bed. “All of us must walk our own roads, but ’tis wrong to prevent women from walking so many roads just because we’re women. Even Plato said, ‘Nothing can be more absurd than the practice of men and women not following the same pursuits with all their strengths and with one mind, for thus, the state instead of being whole is reduced to half.’ I so agree. Our world cuts off its nose to spite its own face by insisting the only purpose for women is to bear children and perpetuate the human race, as also said Plato. Surely ’tis far too hard a view to forever blame women for Eve’s sin.”
Josefa frowned. “But, Eve’s sin brought death to the world and condemned women to suffer.”
“Perchance you can see it that way. But our Lord Jesús welcomed women as his followers. Whenever I feel defeated, I keep that in mind and remind myself that the good lord knew women possess minds as well as hearts and encouraged them to use them. If our saviour believes this, then it must be right. That’s why I believe learning for the young to be so important. For not only do most of us then discover the road we are meant to walk, but good learning
also hands a child a light to guide them all their lives. Just because a child is female, does it mean she should walk in the dark?”
Thank you for hosting Wendy J. Dunn today, with a pretty book spotlight on her enthralling novel, The Duty of Daughters. It's so kind of you to join us.
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Cathie xx
The Coffee Pot Book Club