Tuesday, June 25, 2024

On tour with The Coffee Pot Book Club: Novice Threads by Nancy Jardine

 It is with the greatest of pleasure that I welcome author, Nancy Jardine, onto The Whispering Bookworm.



A thirst for education.  Shattered dreams. Fragile relations.

1840s Scotland

Being sent to school is the most exhilarating thing that’s ever happened to young Margaret Law. She sharpens her newly-acquired education on her best friend, Jessie Morison, till Jessie is spirited away to become a scullery maid. But how can Margaret fulfil her visions of becoming a schoolteacher when her parents’ tailoring and drapery business suddenly collapses and she must find a job?

Salvation from domestic drudgery – or never-ending seamstress work – comes via Jessie whose employer seeks a tutor for his daughter. Free time exploring Edinburgh with Jessie is great fun, but increasing tension in the household claws at Margaret’s nerves. 

Margaret also worries about her parents' estrangement, and the mystery of Jessie's unknown father.

When tragedy befalls the household in Edinburgh, Margaret must forge a new pathway for the future – though where will that be?

Book Title: Novice Threads
Series: Silver Sampler Series 
Author: Nancy Jardine
Publication Date: 15th May 2024
Publisher: Nancy Jardine with Ocelot Press
Page Length: 356
Genre: Victorian Scotland Saga / Historical Fiction / Women’s Fiction

Join me in a cosy chat with author, Nancy Jardine.

What inspired you to start writing?

My profession was primary teaching and during that time I was asked to volunteer to write some locally-based historical non-fiction projects. During those ventures, I taught myself a lot about researching the material needed to proceed; about selecting what was relevant; about how to use local people as a resource regarding anecdotal materials/ or relevant personal experiences. I learned how to self-edit the material and how to format the books ready for printing/ publishing. When I retired from teaching in 2011, I decided that I should use those skills I’d learned and write fiction. During the last decade I’ve managed to have eleven books published. At first it was with a small independent publisher, then as a hybrid author, and now as a self-publishing author.

What was the hardest part about writing this book?

Continuing once begun! I had just started the earliest draft when a death in the family meant I had to set side writing time and get on with other immediate domestic issues. For many months, I found it difficult to concentrate on my writing. And later, when I was eventually near the end of that earliest draft, I was hesitant about whether it would capture the imagination of readers. I was stepping into new territory in a way since most of my writing has been historical adventure set in 1st Century Roman Scotland, or contemporary mysteries. Writing a saga has meant a different style and purpose to the writing.

Does one of the main characters hold a special place in your heart? If so, why?

A little girl, quite a substantial secondary character, will not appear in Books 2 or 3 except as a memory since she dies in Novice Threads. That was a very difficult scene to build up to and finally write! It still makes me tear-up when I read it again. However, the child will be thought of at times in the later books of the series by my main character Margaret, when memories crop up.

If your book was to be made into a movie, who are the celebrities that would star in it?

Since I rarely watch any movies except historical dramas, I’m rubbish at answering this. My main female character is only sixteen at the end of Book 1, and the only actresses I can think of who might look the part would be Emily Blunt or Rachel Weisz. I can’t think of any young male actors, I’m afraid, though their roles are relatively minor.

What do you hope your readers take away from this book?

That they can be in tune with the different morals of the Victorian era and can appreciate how much less freedom a woman had, especially if they were from a poorer, working class background. Life was really tough for many young women and to get a job that wasn’t domestic drudgery, or mill or factory work, was fairly rare. Daily living threw lots of lemons at young women but being adaptable sometimes meant better survival, both physically and mentally.

Buy this Book
This title is available to read on #KindleUnlimited. 


Nancy writes historical and contemporary fiction. 1st Century Roman Britain is the setting of her Celtic Fervour Series. Victorian and Edwardian history has sneaked into two of her ancestry-based contemporary mysteries, and her current Silver Sampler Series is set in Victorian Scotland.

Her novels have achieved Finalist status in UK book competitions (People's Book Prize; Scottish Association of Writers) and have received prestigious Online Book Awards.

Published with Ocelot Press, writing memberships include – Historical Novel Society; Romantic Novelists Association; Scottish Association of Writers; Federation of Writers Scotland; Alliance of Independent Authors.

Social Media Links:










2 comments:

  1. Thank you for inviting me today and for posing such interesting questions for me to answer. It's really lovely to get out and visit 'new to me' blogs. It's much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for hosting Nancy Jardine today. What a lovely interview!

    Take care,
    Cathie xx
    The Coffee Pot Book Club

    ReplyDelete

On tour with The Coffee Pot Book Club: Trouble in Assisi by Heidi Eljarbo

  Trouble in Assisi  By Heidi Eljarbo Assisi, 1973. On art historian Fabiola Bennett’s first day in Assisi, a local gentleman takes her asid...