Wednesday, January 18, 2023

On tour with The Coffee Pot Book Club: Caledon (Caledon, Book #1) by Virginia Crow #Interview #HistoricalFantasy @DaysDyingGlory @CrowvusLit @cathiedunn

 


"Go out and tell all those you meet, Caledon has risen. Caledon will be protected and defended. And to you who would cause her harm, be prepared. A new fight has come."

After the destruction of the Jacobite forces at Culloden, Scotland is divided, vulnerable and leaderless, with survivors from both sides seeking to make sense of the battles they have fought against their fellow Scots.

James Og flees Drumossie, seeking the protection of his uncle's house in Sutherland. It is here that James learns that the Northern Highlands hold a secret power only he can wield: Caledon. When Ensign John Mackay begins hunting Og's family, James realises he must harness this power to defeat the enemies of Scotland.

But, as the ageless Caledon awakes, so too does an ancient evil. When it allies with Mackay, the small Clan of Caledon faces enemies at every turn, discovering that even those closest to them may seek to destroy them.

Interview

What inspired you to start writing?

I’ve been writing for many years, and I still have a very early story which involved a creature which was a strange hybrid with a pig, a bird, and a monkey. Not my finest work of literature, but I’m glad I’ve kept it! I’ve always been surrounded by books – my parents decided never to discard a book – and I suppose being surrounded by them, they seeped into my psyche!

The inspiration for Caledon came from a visit to The Big Burn in Golspie. I was feeling a little despondent that day but I found The Source there exactly as it runs in the book. It was an inspiration I had not been prepared for, but it is the one which will stick with me forever.

What was the hardest part about writing this book?

When I wrote Caledon, I shared it with my sisters who are my primary readers, both of them commented on its ending.  Originally, the book ended after Part Six. I really liked the ambiguity of the ending, but both of them objected to it! The book is the first of six, so I pulled the storyline for the second book forward, introducing the next new character and going part of the way towards resolving the massive conflict which I had originally had as the book’s ending. This seemed to appease my readers!

Does one of the main characters hold a special place in your heart? If so, why?

I love writing an ensemble cast and, because I write from multiple points of view, I often find myself connecting with each one of them. It’s the only way I can keep my characters individual!
That said, I have a definite soft spot for Donald Mackenzie in Caledon. I really admire the way he continues to try to protect the people around him, but ultimately finds himself falling victim to his own loyalties. I appreciate that and love him for it.

If your book was to be made into a movie, who are the celebrities that would star in it?

I actually began writing Caledon in the mould of a TV series, which is why it’s written in parts. But, despite that, I’m not sure who I’d cast. My one stipulation would be that there were no phoney Scottish accents – I’ve seen so many movies where I visibly recoil from the attempts at that one! I like to think that, because the six members of The Clan of Caledon are all slightly wet behind the ears, any attempt at casting would reflect this and give new talent the chance to shine.

What do you hope your readers take away from this book?

Primarily, I hope they enjoy it! It was written to be an adventure, and I want readers to be swept away on it. Writing fast-paced fiction is a little out of my comfort zone, as I tend to go for sumptuous language, but Caledon changed all that.
The other thing I hope readers will realise is that each one of us can make a difference. We live in uncertain times– though thankfully less bloodthirsty than the setting for Caledon – and each voice deserves to be heard. If Caledon inspires one person to speak out on beliefs which had previously remained buried, I would be a very happy author.

Buy this Book


Virginia Crow


Virginia grew up in Orkney, using the breath-taking scenery to fuel her imagination and the writing fire within her. Her favourite genres to write are fantasy and historical fiction, sometimes mixing the two together. She enjoys swashbuckling stories such as The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas and is still waiting for a screen adaption that lives up to the book!

When she's not writing, Virginia is usually to be found teaching music. She believes wholeheartedly in the power of music, especially as a tool of inspiration. She also helps out with the John o' Groats Book Festival which is celebrating its 4th year.

She now lives in the far-flung corner of Scotland. A doting spaniel-owner to Orlando and Jess, Virginia soaks up in inspiration from the landscape as she ventures out with her canine companions.

She loves cheese, music, and films, but hates mushrooms.

Social Media Links:


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting Virginia Crow today, with Caledon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for hosting Caledon today! I really enjoyed answering these questions, and I hope your readers enjoy this post.
    πŸ΄σ §σ ’σ ³σ £σ ΄σ ΏπŸ“šπŸ΄σ §σ ’σ ³σ £σ ΄σ Ώ

    ReplyDelete

On tour with The Coffee Pot Book Club: The Falconer’s Apprentice by Malve von Hassell #HistoricalFiction #HolyRomanEmpire @MvonHassell @cathiedunn

  THE FALCONER'S APPRENTICE is a story of adventure and intrigue set in the intense social and political unrest of the Holy Roman Empire...