Monday, November 2, 2020

On tour with The Coffee Pot Book Club - The Queen's Almoner by Tonya Ulynn Brown #HistoricalFiction #BlogTour #CoffeePotBookClub @MrsBrownee2U @maryanneyarde




I am hosting The Coffee Pot Book Club virtual tour again. This time for The Queen's Almoner by Tonya Ulynn Brown. When I read the blurb of this book I knew I just had to read it, but before we get to my review, let's check out the blurb.


Sometimes loyalty to the queen comes at a cost.

Thomas Broune is a Reformer and childhood friend of the young queen, Mary Stuart. When Mary embarks on a new life in her estranged homeland of Scotland, Thomas is there to greet her and offer his renewed friendship. But the long-time friends grow closer, and Thomas realizes his innocent friendship has grown into something more. Yet he is a man of the cloth. Mary is the queen of the Scots. Both of them have obligations of an overwhelming magnitude: he to his conscience and she to her throne. 

When he must choose between loyalty to his queen or his quiet life away from her court, he finds that the choice comes at a high price. Driven by a sense of obligation to protect those he loves, and crippled by his inability to do so, Thomas must come to terms with the choices he has made and find a peace that will finally lay his failures to rest.



My Review

Mary, Queen of Scots, has always roused my sympathy because her story is just so desperately tragic. When I was offered the chance to read The Queen's Almoner, I knew that I just had to read it, for it looked right up my street. I expected this book to be an enthralling read, but I did not expect to be compelled to stay up half the night reading it! The historical setting, the characters, and the story itself made this book not only unputdownable but also unforgettable. 

I thought this book gave an incredible insight into Mary's life and the author has certainly done her homework for I felt as if I had stepped through a time portal and found myself back in the 16th Century.

I really enjoyed this novel, and I am looking forward to reading more books by this author.


Buy this Book

Amazon UKAmazon US Barnes and Noble


Tonya Ulynn Brown

Tonya Ulynn Brown was born and raised in Columbus, Ohio, USA, but now calls southeastern Ohio home. She spent her younger years right out of college, living in Europe and teaching English as a second language. She attributes her time in Eastern Europe as being one of great personal growth, where her love for history, the classics, and all things European was born. Tonya holds a Master’s degree in Teaching and is now an elementary school teacher where she uses her love of history and reading to try to inspire younger generations to learn, explore and grow. Along with all the historical characters that she entertains in her head, she lives with her husband, two sons and a very naughty Springer Spaniel. Her mother has also joined their home, making for a cozy and complete little family.

Social Media Links:

WebsiteTwitterInstagram, FacebookGoodreads 










No comments:

Post a Comment

On tour with The Coffee Pot Book Club: The Falconer’s Apprentice by Malve von Hassell #HistoricalFiction #HolyRomanEmpire @MvonHassell @cathiedunn

  THE FALCONER'S APPRENTICE is a story of adventure and intrigue set in the intense social and political unrest of the Holy Roman Empire...